I was recently preparing a demo for a potential customer here in Sweden, my last task at Logica, a company I am now leaving, which is a bit sad since I like the company and most especially my colleageus there.
When preparing this demo I was working with an english version of CRM but the demo was to be all in Swedish and the potential customer was a state-owned company which does all it’s work in Swedish. Hence I needed to translate some of the customizations I had made and I had also used the eService accelerator and need to translate this aswell.
I hadn’t actually done any translations previously, it had always been my colleagues doing this and it was a good lesson.
I exported the translations, opened the zip and started working with the translations in the xml. Wrong… despite the fact that it is xml it is actually an Excel document and I hadn’t read that part and since my CRM server didn’t have Excel installed, I didn’t see the icon you can see when you do have Excel installed.
So, I was using Visual Studio to edit the translations and it was a bit of a hassle since it was quite a large document and visual studio didn’t really like it.
Well, after some time I noticed that it had some tags saying it was an Excel document. So, I opened it in Excel and voilà a lot easier to work with. So, just a suggestion, don’t do the same misstake and sometimes, RTFM.
Another thing I found was that it was a bit hard finding the right attributes in the rather large list and the solution was quite simple. When adding an attribute and entering the english display name, I added a string at the end, for instance “GWCRM”. I could then use this as a search string in Excel when editing it, to find the correct displaynames to change. And when adding the swedish translation, I removed the “GWCRM” part at the end of the English.
This is the last day at Logica, all my best to my wonderful colleagues here and I wish you all the best of luck with your future business!
CEO, Chief Architect and co-Founder at CRM-konsulterna AB